This weekend will mean the start of darker days when we see the clocks “fall” back an hour. While an extra hour in bed may seem great in theory, any change to our bedtime routine can be unsettling for our internal body clock. This time of year is a great time to look at your sleep habits in general, to learn more about sleep physiology and to maximise your own sleep hygiene. Because who couldn’t use a better night’s sleep?!
We’ve teamed up with Dr. Lisa Cunningham to get some tips on how to get a better night’s sleep. Dr Lisa has a wealth of knowledge and training in sleep therapy looking at only natural solutions. After chatting with her we are all ready to catch some ZZZs this winter.
1. Look at the foods and drinks that you consume in the evening before bed time. Try natural drinks and foods that support your sleep. Mude Sleep contains Chamomile and Valerian Root which have been proven to help relax the body, especially before sleep. Food such as bananas, milk and honey contain an amino acid called Tryptophan which helps to increase melatonin, our natural sleep hormone.
2. Another thing that affects melatonin production is light and darkness. In darkness, melatonin levels will increase which is why it’s a good idea to wear an eye cover and blacken out the room to increase melatonin in your body.
3. On the reverse side of that, bright lights and screen lights decrease melatonin production. So dim the lights in the evening before bed, avoid any bright lights in the bedroom, and we’ve heard it all before but turn off the TV and put down the phone for at least one hour before bed. No late night TikTok is worth a bad night’s sleep!
4. Temperature is another big one to try manage. The ideal temperature for sleep is to have the room cool but warm. This will relax the body for sleep. The “ideal” temperature is around 16 degrees Celsius.
5. If you can’t drift off to sleep – GET UP. Do not lie there trying, as this can cause negative association. Get up for 20 mins, dim lighting – maybe consume the foods as above, read a book or do something dull. Then retry for sleep again.
Anyone else nodding off yet? Don’t forget to turn your clocks back and enjoy a winter of great sleep. Start by picking up your Mude Sleep at an incredible 50% Off with code SLEEP50 including free delivery.
Chamomile and Valerian Root help you to unwind, reduce anxiety and improve the quality of your sleep
30 day money back guarantee
Don’t miss out!
Join our mailing list for the latest updates, exclusive sales, offers and other promotions!